Saturday, February 13, 2016

Spotlight


The true story of how the Boston Globe uncovered the massive scandal of child molestation and cover-up within the local Catholic Archdiocese, shaking the entire Catholic Church to its core.

I have to say that this movie has been on my must see list for a while and after finally seeing it I am very upset with myself for taking such a long time to watch it. Especially after all the hype it received, the accolades it’s receiving.  The worst part is that the DVD has been on my mantel for almost 2 months before I got around to seeing it.  Stupid move on my part, I should have watched this immediately after receiving the DVD.  This was a huge story when it broke, and luckily for me having been raised Catholic and also an altar boy, I never experienced any of this.  Before people start making up their minds before giving this movie a chance I want them to know it is more about the reporters doing their jobs to bring this story to the public than it is about the church.  Obviously the church is involved but the incredible story behind this scandal, but the true story is the passion of the reporters, and how hard they worked to get this story and to try and correct a wrong that had been happening for decades.  The cast is magnificent and Michael Keaton is kicking ass on his comeback tour.  Mark Ruffalo as always is fantastic, once you get past the weird accent he gave his character you really discover the passion he has for reporting the news and getting to the truth.  Rachel McAdams, John Slattery, Stanley Tucci are on par once again delivering the performances we are used to from high caliber actors.  Not to be forgotten is Liev Schreiber who comes to town as the new editor of The Boston Globe with a very calm demeanor, but with incredible knowledge and a no fear attitude that really helps to propel this story to the next level.  This is a must see movie and I recommend it to all movie lovers and to see it before Oscar night.

Nominated for 6 Oscars in these categories.

Best Picture
Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Mark Ruffalo
Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Rachel McAdams
Best Director - Tom McCarthy
Best Writing, Original Screenplay – Josh Singer, Tom McCarthy
Best Achievement in Film Editing – Tom McArdle

Enjoy the show.

5 out of 5 deadlines


No comments:

Post a Comment