Monday, July 22, 2013

R.I.P.D.


Ryan Reynolds plays a Boston cop Nick and is murdered by his partner Hayes (Kevin Bacon) over some pieces of the gold, whereupon Nick is transported to a kind of purgatory and paired with veteran Western sheriff Roy (Bridges). Sent back to Earth to pursue some justice, they appear to each other, and most of the time to the audience, as themselves, though there are momentary glimpses of how they look to unsuspecting Earthlings: Nick is seen in the guise of “an old Chinese guy” (James Hong), while the goateed and long-haired Roy has the stunning appearance of a blond bombshell (Marisa Miller).

Marisa Miller, that’s how I explain this movie.  Probably because her image is still in my head and that’s fine with me.  I was very excited to see this movie and it started out by getting me worried with how they jumped right into the pool without giving us some background on the characters or building up the story.  Men In Black is what I was hoping for in terms of character and story development since this is similar to MIB in many ways.  It had some fun moments and Jeff Bridges played a great character alongside what I enjoy from Ryan Reynolds and his sarcastic characters he plays so well.  As always it’s fun to see Kevin Bacon on the big screen and he plays it well alongside all the other “Deadies”.  A lot of resemblance to MIB but at a slower pace with less the fun.  An enjoyable movie but I would recommend it as a curious Sunday night rental, unless you want to see Marisa Miller on the big screen in which case I say go ahead. 

Enjoy the show.  3 out of 5 Marisa Millers dancing in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment