Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Great Gatsby



An adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's Long Island-set novel, where Midwesterner Nick Carraway is lured into the lavish world of his neighbor, Jay Gatsby. Soon enough, however, Carraway will see through the cracks of Gatsby's nouveau riche existence, where obsession, madness, and tragedy await.

Honestly I can’t remember the last time I saw a trailer for a movie as flashy as this one, and it made me think one thing, no way I am seeing this in 3D!  From the get go this movie struck me as a look at how bright and lavish this is, don’t you want to live like this?   Hell yes, we all want to live like Gatsby but that’s where this ended for me, and my A.D.D. took over and I started thinking that this was shot to display it’s beauty in 3D, but from it’s opening weekend box office production it seems I’m wrong in that regard and many movie goers enjoyed it.   The acting was superb as you would except from the Dicarpio, Edgerton, Fisher, Maguire, and Mulligan, and I was a little surprised that Dicaprio took on this role, but as he always does he knocked it out of the park, the movie just wasn’t the typical heavy drama we are used to from Leo.  Jay Z who I think is a musical mastermind added the tunes to this, which felt a little, misplaced, meaning I imagined original pieces and better placed use of the music.   This feels like a negative review but I was actually entertained by the show, in case you couldn’t tell.  After the dust clears I would recommend this as a renter, but if you choose to see this colorful masterpiece on the big screen, then you should do that.

Enjoy the show.  3 out of 5 martinis old sport

No comments:

Post a Comment