Thursday, January 21, 2016

Straight Outta Compton



The group NWA emerges from the mean streets of Compton in Los Angeles, California, in the mid-1980s and revolutionizes Hip Hop culture with their music and tales about life in the hood.

This movie is one that brings me back to my youth and especially my love of 80’s music, a decade that is still undefeated in my mind as far as movies and music.  These guys started it all; they came at you with truth and feelings that they experienced with raw and unapologetic lyrics.  What these guys started is unbelievable and something that will most likely never be seen again in the history of music.  Watching the stories of all the greats come to life was a lot of fun and to see the next great after next great story come out on the screen was a lot of fun, especially if you had forgotten the time table of when these rappers hit it big.  I actually forgot how many greats Dr. Dre produced and how just how good he was at making beats. (Pun intended.)  I was very impressed with the cast and how well they portrayed their characters.  It was especially fun to watch O’Shea Jackson Jr. transform into his father right before your eyes.  Once he cut his hair it’s hard not to believe that it’s not actually Ice Cube.  In case you didn’t know, Ice Cube is actually his real life Father.  I have just one thing I wish would have been done different.  In my mind and this is just me, I wish we would have gotten more of an origin story on how they all met, some more family background, and along the way some dates or years of when all the events happened.   Before I go, the music is incredible in this movie; I forgot how many hits these guys put out and during the movie I wanted to get on iTunes and start downloading songs I had forgotten. 

1 Oscar Nomination 

Best Writing, Original Screenplay - Andrea Berloff, Jonathan Herman, S. Leigh Savidge, Alan Wenkus

Enjoy the show.


4 out of 5 popcorns.

No comments:

Post a Comment